With our Retea grass jelly powder mix, making bubble tea and other Asian desserts has never been easier!
Also known as black jelly, Xian-Can, or Leung fan, grass jelly is a traditional herbal jelly that’s a popular desert in Southeast Asian countries.
Unlike other jelly/jellos, it’s not necessary to chill in the fridge for 2 hours. Watch how we make it on our Instagram Reel!
PREP/COOKING TIME: ~10 min
- 1 TBSP of Instant Grass Jelly Powder
- 1/2 cup (100mL) water
- 1/4 cup (50mL) cold/room temperature water
- Dish/bowl (we recommend a shallow one!)
- Optional: 1 TBSP sweetener of your choice
1. In a pot, bring 1/2 cup (100mL) of water to a boil on medium to high heat.
2. In a separate cup or bowl, add 1 tbsp of grass jelly powder in 1/4 cup (50mL) cold/room temperature water and stir well until combined.
3. Slowly pour in the grass jelly mixture into the boiling water and stir well with a whisk.
4. Turn down the heat to low-medium and keep stirring until everything is dissolved and slightly thickened. This should take around 1 minute.
5. Pour out mixture in a shallow dish and let it cool at room temperature. Jelly should start to solidify within 5-10 minutes depending on dish/bowl.
6. Once solidified, break up the jelly with a spoon or knife. The shape is up to you! Add your choice of sweetener.7. Serve immediately or leave in the fridge for up to 3 days!
There you go! Your very own grass jelly. Add this to your favourite bubble tea flavour or desserts. Tag us @reteacups on Instagram using the #MyRetea to be entered in our monthly giveaways :)